- Carnivorous - those who feed on small mammals, birds or other vertebrates (e.g., Kingfishers, Rollers)
- Insectivorous - those who feed on insects and other invertebrates (e.g., Bee-eaters, Fly-catchers)
- Omnivorous - those who feed on both animal and plant material (e.g., Corvids, Hornbills)
- Frugivorous - those who feed on fruit (e.g., Turacos, Fruit Doves)
- Nectarivorous - those who feed on flower nectar (e.g., Hummingbirds, Sunbirds)
- Folivorous - those who feed on leafs, petals and other plant material (Turacos, Mousebirds)
This sixth diet type is usually in association with one of the above, as very few birds are solely foliverous, a few species of Galliforme come to mind, however they are not considered to be Softbills.